March 7, 2009

Urgent Care *%$#!

I had to take Gracie to urgent care this morning. We waited for two hours for them to tell us that Gracie in fact has strep throat. Okay, no biggie. We waited for an hour to get her medicine and then we finally went home. I gave the first dose at 2pm. At 4pm Gracie says "Mom, my back is itchy". Having dealt with two previous allergies to amoxicillan I pretty much knew what I would see when she lifted her shirt and sure enough, hives. Bumpy, itchy, red hives. I called the nurse to see if we could just switch meds over the phone, but no dice. I took her back to urgent care at 4:55, peds urgent care is open until 5pm. They wouldn't look at her. They told me I had to take her over to the adult urgent care because they were now closed. Apparently 5pm at Kaiser means something different than 5pm at my house. I took her to adult urgent care at 5pm. At 7:40 the doctor finally sees Gracie and tells me what I already know. Gracie had an allergic reaction to her medicine and needs a new one. After the doctor visit was pharmacy visit #2 and at 9:15 we finally get home and eat dinner. You may have heard this from me before, but I don't recommend Kaiser. It would have taken the doctor in peds 5 minutes to walk out her door and look at Gracie and order a new medicine, AND she still would have been out of there by 5pm. But no, why try to help a patient out and spare a second urgent care co-pay and wait time. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: