Belly Flop
Yesterday Allie did a belly flop off the kitchen chair. She landed on her face on the tile floor. (Bad Idea) It wasn't on purpose, she slipped. I picked her up and, of course, she was bleeding profusely from her mouth. You can see the bruise on her cheek (it looks worse in person). On the other side of that bruise is a hole the size of a quarter. She bit the inside of her cheek. Once I got her cleaned up enough to see, I was shocked! She has two very large cuts. I think her cheek must have been inbetween all of her teeth! The top hole is not as bad as the bottom. The bottom literally opens up to at least the size of a quarter! I have spared you from that image because it is really hard to look at and I don't think I could actually get a picture of it even if I wanted to. I knew that doctors don't typically stitch inside the mouth, but I took her to urgent care anyway just to have it checked. As I suspected, no stitches. They would have stitched if the hole went all the way through her cheek, she was close to that, but fortunately it stayed on the inside.
So, for the next few days, every time Allie eats something, afterward I have to open up that hole and make sure there is no food in there that could cause an infection - How fun does that sound!?! Well, it's the job of a mom. I am grateful that it wasn't worse!
How is it supposed to heal if I have to open it up 15 times a day?
2 comments:
Oh my, that does not sound like fun. Good luck!
Ouch. Poor Alley. It is surpriseing how quickly the mouth heals. Which is a good thing. Well Kristi you will have your doctorate in a few years. Reminds me when Jenny fell off the bunkbed and had a large cut in her mouth.
Glad you have a strong stomach.
Love ya Mom S
Post a Comment